With infusion therapy, medication is delivered intravenously. We currently infuse Tysabri and Ocrevus, which are prescription medicines approved for adult patients with relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS). It helps slow the worsening of disability and decrease the number of flare-ups (relapses).
The Tysabri infusion takes an hour with an additional observational period and Ocrevus is approximately 4 hours with additional post infusion observation.
Our Infusion Nurse: Lissa Anderson, RN, BSN
Lissa serves as our Infusion Nurse and has been with us for the past 12 years, since October of 2007. She administered our first infusion at ANS (one of Dr. Armstrong’s patients). Lissa graduated from St. Catherine’s College in St. Paul, MN with a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing. After getting married, she and her husband moved to Colorado, where she worked as an ER nurse for 10 years. Following her husband’s parents, they decided to relocate to WNC in search of new job opportunities and to stay close to their family. This search eventually led her to Asheville Neurology Specialists. Lissa also works with the elderly at Universal Health Care in Fletcher as a staff nurse part-time.
Lissa has two boys Brett, age 18 and Zac, age 13 as well as a beautiful golden retriever named Lily, which all keep her very busy. Some of Lissa’s interests include skiing, traveling, and trying new restaurants.
Infusion Resources and Helpful Information
- TYSABRI MD Discussion Guide
- Resources for Care Givers
- Insurance and Financial Support
- Above MS™ program—by Biogen
By joining Above MS, you’ll get tips, tools, and personalized assistance for your MS, including:
- Specially tailored information from people who are living with relapsing MS
- Insights from expert contributors in fields such as financial planning, cooking, exercise, and many other areas
- Free access by phone to Nurse Educators 24/7
- A variety of financial and insurance support services, and our $0 Copay Program (if you’re eligible)
- Information about TYSABRI, the TOUCH® Prescribing Program, and support services
- TOUCH monitors risk for patients taking TYSABRI and enables them to receive free JC Virus testing
- Information about TYSABRI treatment and support services
- Help finding assistance via charitable organizations to cover items such as insurance premiums, copays, and transportation needs
- Educational webinars and live events in your area
- Support is available in Spanish