Diversity and Inclusion- It matters!
At Asheville Neurology we have made improving access and healthcare across all populations of people a priority. In January of 2020 we formed the Diversity and Inclusion committee comprised of seven staff members from all different areas of the practice. The committee is led by our Practice Operations Manager Nikki, who is particularly passionate about achieving health equity at Asheville Neurology.
The committee Mission Statement is as follows:
We value diversity and celebrate differences. We aim to create a standard of care that allows each of our staff members serve ALL patients, regardless of race, sex or gender identity, religion, national origin, physical disability, age or sexual orientation and to meet every patient where they are at. By celebrating our differences and having a culturally competent staff, we strive to be able understand the importance of diversity and recognize the value of our individual differences.
2020 Committee Goals:
- Improve quality of care for patients who don’t speak English as their first language or at all. Increase access to our interpreter network, educate staff and translate some of our educational materials in Spanish.
- Provide education and training for all staff around working with patients that have developmental/intellectual disabilities .
- Provide cultural competency education to staff. We will work to make sure that our patients that identify within the LGBTQIA community are made to feel welcome and respected and that their identities don’t affect the quality of care they receive.
- Provide support for Caregivers/Patients with Caregivers: asking if patient has caregiver/including that info on the referral form/making sure caregiver is on HIPAA form.
- Improve staff education around interacting with patients with certain diseases like Dementia, TBI, Alzheimer’s or other cognitive/memory issues by educating staff members on best practices.
- Facilitator: Nikki Madle (email@example.com)
- Members: Dr. Engelbrecth, Dr. Patton, Allyssa Dennard PA-C, Mariah, Bill, Nick, Aly, Tanisha, Tamara, Amber, Ashley, Katie, Bri.